Sunday, November 22, 2009

Learned lessons from being robbed in Buenos Aires

While walking on a sunny afternoon through La Boca I was mugged by two teenagers (maybe 13 and 17). As I have told this story to my friends and acquaintances I have found that it's really not that uncommon. In realizing this I wish I would have taken the following steps prior and during the assault in order to be more prepared. Take my lesson learned so that even though you might not be able to avoid being robbed you can avoid some of the hassle associated with the event.

Prior:
-Keep a spare debit/credit card at home so that you're not left without access to ALL of your accounts.
-Always carry some amount of spare cash hidden on you (in your bra/socks/tiny pocket in your jeans) so that you at least have that left.
-Avoid writing specific information that could be useful to someone who has robbed you i.e. your address.
-Continually download pictures from your camera so that if it's stolen at least you still have the memories.
-Try to carry your keys on you; this was the biggest hassle and most expensive part of being robbed. If I would have had to replace the keys of my building it would have been close to a thousand dollars- yes dollars, not pesos.
-Learn your home phone number.

During:
-I wish I would have asked for my keys, most of the time they have no value to the thieves.
-Maybe run?

Post:
-I gave my information to the police and felt very uneasy about it afterward; it's hard to know who to trust.

I hope this helps in either preventing or preparing for this type of event.

2 comments:

  1. Hola Jez, lamento que hayas pasado por un episodio así.
    :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. La Boca is where people always get robbed, did you stray off the touristic part? I have heard of SO MANY people who get robbed just a few meters, or half a block away from the touristic area.

    ReplyDelete